Wednesday, April 23, 2014

The HTC desire 816 vs the Sony Xperia T2 ultra!

So, as you all know the much awaited HTC desire 816 was launched in India and the most tough competitor that it is going to have if we avoid the size would be the Moto X which I talked about in my recent article!

But when it comes to size, the biggest competitor in the android arena would be the Sony Xperia T2 ultra which sports 0.5 inches bigger screen than the HTC desire 816 and I am going to tell which android phablet is the best in the mid budget category!

DESIGN AND BUILD!

Now when we talk about the built, both the devices are gorgeous and feel great in the hand! 

The HTC design 816 brings a unibody design that is extremely eye catchy if you go for different colours, the back is entirely made out of glossy plastic which does feel a little slippery as i said before and the sides are matte that makes them a dirty sometimes! The build of this particular device does brings class on the phablet table and feels extremely premium when you hold it!

On the other hand, we have the same old Sony design which i complaint in my previous article too and mentioned that the glass design of Sony phones is getting a little boring and this phone is no exception!
The phone if you ignore that looks very attractive and is considerably more premium than the desire 816 when you compare them side by side!

Xperia T2 Ultra is a little heavier though because of the bigger size but it is really thin and you won't notice it after a while!

In this category, i think the HTC desire 816 gets a edge with its unique design however if you like Sony's design, it is not bad too! None of them feels bad or cheap, so i guess i have to say both are winners here!

DISPLAY.

Next up is display and it should be really great when we talk about phablets! 
These both phones surprisingly come with the same resolution that is 720p but there are some differences!

HTC ON THE LEFT!

The HTC desire 816 comes with 5.5 inches Super LCD 2 720p display with a pixel density of 267ppi!
The display looks awesome, viewing angles are great and outdoor visibility is no problem too!
You will have no trouble in watching movies or playing high definition games!

While on the Sony booth, the T2 Ultra comes with a 6 inches IPS LCD 720p display with a pixel density of 245ppi that is slightly lesser than the HTC desire 816 because of the bigger display! The display is not bad here either but you will feel the bigger screen when watching HD movie or anything else where this phone will basically lack, other things are just in place including outdoor visibility and viewing angles!

The Winner is definitely the HTC desire 816 with its smaller and sharper display! I think 5.5 inches is more than enough for a phone but if you still want bigger, go for the Sony but don't expect a sharp or crisp display! Colours are more vibrant on the Sony but it pains the eye some times!

HARDWARE.

On the hardware department, both phones are almost similar and both include NFC, Bluetooth 4.0 and Mircro SD card and 8GB of internal storage!

However when we talk about micro SD, the HTC desire 816 gets the edge as you can expand the memory on it up to 128GB, while on the Sony T2 ultra, it is expandable only up to 32GB!

Another aspect where the desire 816 is a complete winner is the speakers! How are you going to enjoy a big phone without great speakers? This is where HTC comes in and blows the tiny speakers of T2 Ultra!

The places where Sony T2 ultra wins is that it consists  WiFi direct and gyroscope and unfortunately the desire 816 just doesn't have this!

Another place where the Sony T2 ultra takes a little edge is the battery life which is slightly better on the Sony T2 Ultra! It comes with a 3000mAh non removable battery in comparison with the 2600mAH non removable battery of the desire 816!

So, in this aspect I am going to go with the desire 816 with more storage and better speakers!
Battery life is almost similar and both of them are capable of giving you an entire day on heavy usage!

SOFTWARE.

Software is the place where both phones differ a lot and it is up to you which one to choose!

The HTC desire 816 comes with the latest Android KitKat 4.4.2 and on top of that Sense 5.5 which will be soon upgraded to Sense 6! The UI is simplistic and useful, and most importantly not a fancy land with too much functions that you don't even use!

Same goes to the T2 Ultra in the UI category with the TimeScape UI which is getting a little boring but is great and stable which is more important! The phone however comes with the older Android Jellybean 4.3 which according to Sony will be soon updated to KitKat!

Both phones as i said differ a lot and you can go for either because both of them are great!

PERFORMANCE.

Performance is one of the major concerns when buying an android phone but not to worry because these both are just fine and don't differ a lot!

The HTC desire 816 comes with the Snapdragon 400 1.6ghz Quad core processor with Adreno 305 assisted with 1.5 GB of RAM which is perfectly capable of running your phone smoothly and also high end games or heavy multi tasking!

On the other side, the Sony Xperia T2 Ultra is powered by the Snapdragon 400 Quad core clocked at 1.4ghz which is little lesser than the HTC! It consists of the Adreno 305 assisted with again lesser 1GB RAM! This phone also runs smooth but you will a clutter while playing high end games!

As you would already expect, performance is better on the HTC desire 816 with much higher specs while the Sony T2 ultra is not bad too if you are not into games a lot!

CAMERA.

Camera is another area where these phones are similar with both having 13MP shooters with a single LED flash capable of recording videos at 1080p! 

Both phones take great images but the HTC desire 816 is slightly better especially in low light photography!
Another area where HTC desire 816 wins is the secondary camera with the desire 816 having 5MP camera while the Sony having a 1.1MP shooter! So if you are a selfie lover, the desire 816 is a better choice!

TO SUM UP..

The bottom line is that the HTC desire 816 gives you a much better phablet or a phone experience with better specs! Sony xperia T2 ultra however lacks in some areas which we talked about and deserves a price drop!

Thank you for reading but if you wanna keep reading my new articles, I have a new address now that is phonesoldier.com! Meet you there. :)

Read also: Nokia lumia 1320 vs Sony Xperia T2 ultra!

ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU FOR READING, IF YOU HAVE ANY MORE SUGGESTIONS ON THIS ARTICLE , COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS WELCOMED OR YOU CONNECT ME ON TWITTER@phonesoldier or Facebook!
 DO MAKE SURE TO HIT THAT SHARE BUTTON IF YOU LIKED READING IT! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment